Free and Open Source Software –
Business Potential vs. Legal Obligations
Date: Wednesday, September 26th, 2012
Time: Registration & breakfast begins at 8:00am. Please see full agenda below.
Location: Delphi Offices, Regeringsgatan 30-32, P.O. Box 1432, SE-111 84 Stockholm - Where is this?
Cost: There is no cost for this event.
Despite over 85% of companies utilizing free and open source software (FOSS) in their software development process (Gartner Research), most IT organizations are yet to uncover its full potential. With no FOSS strategy or policy in place, companies often ignore or are unaware of the technical, business and legal challenges associated with multi-source development.
FOSS provides IT teams with the ability to make better software and faster software all while controlling development, maintenance and support costs. However, legal teams are interested in managing risk and ensuring compliance, monitoring, validating and controlling FOSS usage.
Attendees of this breakfast seminar will learn about the rewards and legal risks associated with FOSS, as well as the most common types of FOSS licenses used in software development today. We review how these licenses impact legal and development teams in addition to looking at how FOSS has changed due diligence for corporate acquisitions. We’ll also examine a number of case studies on how companies have realized the full potential of FOSS while also managing business risk.
- 08:00am - Registration & Breakfast
- 08:30am - Welcome and Introductions (Delphi)
- 08:40am - Market Dynamics & FOSS Trends (Black Duck)
- 09:00am - FOSS License Overview & How It Impacts Your Organization (Delphi)
- Introduction to FOSS and an overview of the most popular licenses
- The impact of FOSS in SaaS and cloud services
- Contractual obligations when developing internally with FOSS
- How FOSS is changing due diligence in Mergers & Acquisitions
- 09:45am - FOSS Management, compliance and case studies (Black Duck)
- 10:15am - Q&A and Wrap-up
To register for the seminar, please fill out the form below. Please note, due to limited space, Delphi will confirm with each individual their participation at the event.